Can't log into EVE GUI -- nothing happens after entering credentials

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

Ursl235

Can't log into EVE GUI -- nothing happens after entering credentials

Post by Ursl235 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:55 pm

Hello, I'm trying to log into the Web GUI in 5.0.1-19-Community. I enter admin/eve in the login page, press Sign In, but nothing happens. These credentials worked before. It does not matter if I try Native console or HTML5.

1) I checked df -h and verified that there is a lot of free space:
oot@eve-ng:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev 12G 0 12G 0% /dev
tmpfs 2.4G 1.4M 2.4G 1% /run
/dev/mapper/ubuntu--vg-ubuntu--lv 97G 17G 76G 18% /
tmpfs 12G 0 12G 0% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 12G 0 12G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/loop0 64M 64M 0 100% /snap/core20/1950
/dev/vda2 1.5G 257M 1.1G 19% /boot
/dev/loop2 68M 68M 0 100% /snap/lxd/21835
/dev/loop1 64M 64M 0 100% /snap/core20/1974
/dev/loop3 54M 54M 0 100% /snap/snapd/19457
/dev/loop4 92M 92M 0 100% /snap/lxd/24061
tmpfs 2.4G 0 2.4G 0% /run/user/0

2) I tried to implement the second recommendation (in a single line) and it yielded Permission denied:
root@eve-ng:~# unl_wrapper -a restoredb ; grep -q default_time_zone /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf || echo "default_time_zone='+00:00'" >> /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf ; systemctl restart mysql
-bash: /opt/unetlab/wrappers/unl_wrapper: Permission denied
root@eve-ng:~#

3) I did factory reset of the password (it was admin/eve/):
root@eve-ng:~# echo "DELETE from users where username = 'admin';" | mysql --host=localhost --user=root --password=eve-ng eve_ng_db
mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
root@eve-ng:~# echo "INSERT INTO users VALUES ('admin',NULL,'root@localhost',-1,'Eve-NGAdministrator','85262adf74518bbb70c7cb94cd6159d91669e5a81edf1efebd543eadbda9fa2b',NULL,'','admin','',1);"| mysql --host=localhost --user=root --password=eve-ng eve_ng_db
mysql: [Warning] Using a password on the command line interface can be insecure.
root@eve-ng:~#

However, nothing changed and I still can't log into the GUI.

4) Also, I tried to research permission denied issue and found that "Just check if you have /opt/unetlab/platform and /opt/unetlab/hypervisor files." I checked and these files exist:
root@eve-ng:/opt/unetlab# ls
addons evedb.gz hypervisor labs platform scripts tmp
data html jail LICENSE schema skeleton wrappers
root@eve-ng:/opt/unetlab#

The system was working fine before. I used IOL images. However, I tried to install Cisco Viptela SD-WAN images today and GUI login failed to work after this. During SD-WAN install, I was trying to fix permissions
/opt/unetlab/wrappers/unl_wrapper -a fixpermissions
but also got permission denied.

Could you please help log into EVE GUI?

Thanks!

Ursl235

Re: Can't log into EVE GUI -- nothing happens after entering credentials

Post by Ursl235 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:26 pm

It looks like I found solution to unl_wrapper issue in Uldis post:
root@eve-ng:/opt/unetlab# chmod +x /opt/unetlab/wrappers/unl_wrapper

After that, I tried to fix DB with the single line:
root@eve-ng:/opt/unetlab# unl_wrapper -a restoredb ; grep -q default_time_zone /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf || echo "default_time_zone='+00:00'" >> /etc/mysql/mysql.conf.d/mysqld.cnf ; systemctl restart mysql

I have no permission error a;ready while restoring the DB, but I still can't log in( I cleared my browser cookies related to eve and it didn't help.

Also, I installed a fresh browser (Chromium) and still can't log in. So far, I tried Firefox and Chromium to log in.

Appreciate your advice!

Ursl235

Re: Can't log into EVE GUI -- nothing happens after entering credentials

Post by Ursl235 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:43 pm

I have solved the issue.

I executed
root@eve-ng:/opt/unetlab# /opt/unetlab/wrappers/unl_wrapper -a fixpermissions

and now unl_wrapper worked. After that, I logged into the EVE GUI successfully using both browsers.

Thank you.