Palo Alto 11 image Long boot time

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

FLguy

Palo Alto 11 image Long boot time

Post by FLguy » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:27 am

Hello all,

This is my first time running PA firewalls in EVE. I boot the first one up now, and it's taking over 10 mins, and I'm still not at a login prompt. I have an i7 with 12 CPUs, and 32GB allocated to EVE. I'm just wondering if this is normal. Or not?

Thanks for the time and support,
Nick

FLguy

Re: Palo Alto 11 image Long boot time

Post by FLguy » Thu Sep 14, 2023 5:25 am

Resolved the Problem. Configure PAN nodes with >4.5GB Memory. PAN 11.x.x node with Eve's default memory of 4GB, you will never get to a working login prompt. Tested many times on my setup. PAN will crash a few times and eventually end up in the Maintainance Recovery Tool.

Normally, I do not edit resources for any nodes I add to Labs. However, the defaults for Palo Alto are too low for the newer versions of PAN-OS, 2 VCPUs, and 4GB memory. At a minimum, you need 4.5 GB (4608 MB), and the image boots to the login prompt. It takes about 4-7 mins, which is normal. First time booting a new node will take a bit longer.

Using PA 11.0.2 KVM image (Image name: PA-VM-KVM-11.0.2.qcow2)
Node on the left with Default 4GB, the Node on the right is configured with 4.5GB (4608MB)
PAw4GMem vs PA45GMem.png

Also, you have to wait until you get a prompt with PA-VM or the hostname of the FW. This can take a few minutes some times.
ManyPrompts.png
Thank you,
Nick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rusty725

Re: Palo Alto 11 image Long boot time

Post by rusty725 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 6:30 am

that depends on your cpu model and overall system load.