QEMU machines inside EVE don't detect their network card (NIC)

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

itmateo

QEMU machines inside EVE don't detect their network card (NIC)

Post by itmateo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Hello Everyone, I'm Mateusz and I love computer networks but I'm a new EVE-NG user. I'd like to learn and use EVE very often.

I installed EVE-NG COMM VM on the host computer via ESXI v6.5u1. The situation looks like everything generally works properly, i.e. IOS/IOL images - ok, capture via Wireshark -ok, VNC connection - ok, QEMU machines inside EVE boot correctly with a small exception :( ... none of these nodes detect own NIC. It doesn't matter if QEMU OS it's Linux or Windows.

I guess I did something mistake in the configuration or it's another problem for example of with the ESXi version or any NIC driver missing? Has anyone encountered a similar problem? Any ideas?

If you need detailed data for analysis, then of course I can provide it (screenshots, commands in the terminal). Also, I can share data for remote connection to my ESXi machine and EVE-NG VM machine.

Thank you so much for your help/tips.
Best regards for everyone.

Uldis (UD)

Re: QEMU machines inside EVE don't detect their network card (NIC)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:37 am

should not be...
EVE is simple VM running under ESXi.
Not sure I 100% undersnatd what do you mean own NIC?

Visit our live chat we can discuss.
To access use google account or create new one.

http://www.eve-ng.net/live-helpdesk

UD

itmateo

Post by itmateo » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:04 am

Hello Uldis,

Today, I dealt with this problem on QEMU Linux. The network card was available from begin in Linux QEMU but was named as ens3 but I was looking for "eth0"... no comment :oops:

When I connected devices to simple topology and configured correctly all devices/nodes (I used: Cloud0 -> Cisco router (with active NAT mode) -> L2 switch -> QEMU Linux and VPCS) everything works absolutely correctly.

I have still only to solve the problem with the network card on the QEMU Windows machine (the network card also is available in devices manager but there is only a driver for this card missing). It will be easy.

Thank you for your answer. Have a nice day :P

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:23 pm

come in live chat mate...
:)