vMX 17.2R1.13 - importing configs

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

mku

vMX 17.2R1.13 - importing configs

Post by mku » Sun May 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Hello guys,

First of all, I wanted to acknowledge that I'm aware of this how-to - http://www.eve-ng.net/documentation/how ... -16-x-17-x.

I have deployed vMX 17.2.R1.13 following How-To (EVE-NG running on ESXi) without any major issues. The images boot properly and I see that VCP and VFP discover each other.
I'm able to export configs, but for some reason, I'm not able to import them.
When the VM has booted, I'm able to perform "mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0 /mnt" and "load set /mnt/juniper.conf" manually. Any idea to fix the process so it happens automatically?

Does import work for you out of the box?

mku

Re: vMX 17.2R1.13 - importing configs

Post by mku » Mon May 21, 2018 10:11 am

As I started experimenting with this image in the lab I noticed that there are more problems. In my recent lab, some nodes have lost IGP adjacencies with vMX, after further investigation I noticed that VFP disappeared from "show chassis fpc" output.

So my question is: has anyone used this image in multi-node labs? I think that underlying hardware isn't an issue, because when I check lab status it reports 20-30% CPU. I'm running it on ESXi 6.0, Xeon E5-2630v3 and 64 GB of RAM.

ddeback

Re: vMX 17.2R1.13 - importing configs

Post by ddeback » Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:16 am

It is the same on the KVM/bare metal install. ( community or pro , uses the same python import/export)
Exports from the vMX/VCP VMs are hit and miss if the default timers are changed, mostly.
Like the previous post in this thread I never had any luck with imports and also use the procedure as detailed below, mounting the iso file

Now, this may have something to do with the length of the configs.
Export/Import seems to fucntion on new base configs.
My configs start at ~ 10,000 lines and I have not been able to import an "initial config" in a fully automated manner.
I still use the UI to place the initial config so the wrapper can create the iso file for the VM in order to be able to use load set.