Headers package for EVE 'UKMS' kernel

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

SolidState214

Headers package for EVE 'UKMS' kernel

Post by SolidState214 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:24 pm

Hello, I am running an EVE bare metal installation and am having difficulty installing some of the hardware drivers due to the lack of a headers package for the 'ukms-2' kernel which is required by EVE. The drivers require kernel headers to compile driver modules for the kernel. I currently have my EVE installation working _mostly_ normally on my hardware by setting the boot loader to start a generic kernel with the drivers installed, however this is undesirable and has the side-effect of raising the "failed to create network" bug, as well as being unable to use UKSM.

My hardware is an HP DL380 G9 server with Intel Xeon E5-2660v3 CPUs and 256GB of memory. The server contains a pair of Nvidia GPUs, which require compiling kernel modules in order to use the proprietary Nvidia drivers.

Uldis (UD)

Re: Headers package for EVE 'UKMS' kernel

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:20 am

EVE does not support desktop installs.
I assume you want get up desktop GUI for eve server...
It is not supported
Sorry.

EVE team decided do not use any vendor specific headers, because of unstability and compatobility issues between different HW systems.
EVE is using only legacy kernels.
User of course is free to built own kernel versions.

Uldis

SolidState214

Re: Headers package for EVE 'UKMS' kernel

Post by SolidState214 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:32 pm

Okay, if using a generic kernel is what I have to do, that's fine. In that case, would you be open to classifying the EVE kernel package as recommended instead of required in a future release of EVE, if I were to submit a feature request for that? That way I could blacklist it to avoid it being installed and not have to constantly modify the boot loader.

In addition, this is not a desktop installation. This system uses the Nvidia-docker framework for machine-learning applications in docker containers. I understand that application deployment testing isn't a primary use case for EVE; but with the growing popularity of GPUs for compute workloads, this may be a feature worth considering.

Thanks again for following up.