linux qemu image not booting

Moderator: mike

darkmode

linux qemu image not booting

Post by darkmode » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:56 am

Heya,

I'm able to boot a virtual machine using the following native qemu-system command:

Code: Select all

qemu-system-x86_64 -m 2G -cpu qemu64 -hda hda.qcow2 -hdb hdb.qcow2 -boot order=c -nographic
I've not been able to boot the image via eve-ng. Here's what I've done.

1. Dropped the images in /opt/unetlab/addons/qemu/linux-custom/

root@eve-ng:/opt/unetlab/addons/qemu/linux-custom# ll
total 1976332
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root       4096 Aug 22 11:22 ./
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root       4096 Aug 18 14:26 ../
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2023358464 Aug 22 11:17 hda.qcow2
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root     393216 Aug 18 14:17 hdb.qcow2
2. ran /opt/unetlab/wrappers/unl_wrapper -a fixpermissions

Unfortunately no winner. Any logs I can look at? I haven't found anything.
I also played around with the "QEMU custom options" but no winner either.

Not sure if this helps, but I'm able to boot the VM using virsh using these parameters too:

virt-install \
--name my_vm \
--memory 2048 \
--vcpus 1 \
--cpu qemu64 \
--os-type linux \
--os-variant virtio26 \
--boot hd \
--disk path=hda.qcow2,device=disk,bus=virtio \
--disk path=hdb.qcow2,device=disk,bus=virtio \
--graphics vnc,listen=0.0.0.0 \
--console pty,target_type=serial \
--import
Any advice would be appreciated.

Regards,
darkmode

douglaswarren

Re: linux qemu image not booting

Post by douglaswarren » Wed Sep 13, 2023 7:56 pm

Hello, I think you can try running QEMU with the -d option to enable verbose logging. For example, -d guest_errors will display guest-related errors. This can provide more detailed information about the boot process and any errors encountered.

rusty725

Post by rusty725 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:32 pm

lucidam

Post by lucidam » Thu Sep 14, 2023 3:38 am

It seems like you're having trouble booting a virtual machine image in EVE-NG that you can successfully boot using native qemu-system and virt-install commands. Troubleshooting EVE-NG issues can be a bit complex, but here are some steps you can try to diagnose and resolve the problem:

Check EVE-NG Logs: Look for EVE-NG logs that might provide more information about the issue. You can usually find these logs in /opt/unetlab/logs or a similar directory. Look for error messages or warnings that might indicate what's going wrong.

Check Image Paths: Make sure that the image paths you've specified in EVE-NG match the actual locations of your hda.qcow2 and hdb.qcow2 files. EVE-NG requires the correct file paths to locate and run the images.

Permissions: Ensure that the files hda.qcow2 and hdb.qcow2 have the appropriate permissions for EVE-NG to access them. You can use the ls -l command to check the file permissions.

Custom Options: Experiment with the "QEMU custom options" in the EVE-NG node settings. Sometimes, specific QEMU options are needed to boot an image correctly. Try adding options similar to what you use in the native qemu-system command.

Image Format: Confirm that the hda.qcow2 and hdb.qcow2 images are in a format that EVE-NG supports. QEMU images come in various formats, and EVE-NG may require a specific format.

EVE-NG Community: Check the EVE-NG community forums or mailing lists. Other users may have encountered similar issues and could provide specific advice or solutions.

EVE-NG Documentation: Review the EVE-NG documentation for any specific only up requirements or configurations needed to run custom QEMU images. The documentation might offer insights into what could be causing the problem.

Network Configuration: Ensure that your VM's network configuration within EVE-NG matches what's expected by your virtual machine image. Network settings can sometimes cause booting issues.

EVE-NG Version: Ensure that you are using a compatible version of EVE-NG. Sometimes, updating or downgrading EVE-NG can resolve compatibility issues.

Logs from the Virtual Machine: Check if there are any logs or error messages generated by the virtual machine itself during boot. This might provide clues about what's going wrong within the VM.

Test Other Images: If possible, try booting other QEMU images within EVE-NG to see if the issue is specific to this image or a broader problem.