Persistent Linux nodes

Moderator: mike

johnjohnjohn

Persistent Linux nodes

Post by johnjohnjohn » Wed May 09, 2018 11:26 pm

Is there a way to use the same instance of a Linux image in multiple labs? Instead of creating a new node from the base hda.qcow2, I want to have any filesystem changes done in one lab affect the node/image in other labs as well. Is this possible?

An example of a use case would be for programmability labs, I would like installed packages and scripts to be in multiple labs, essentially using the same server, but with different topologies. The alternative would be to setup a server externally and connecting it via the Management(Cloud0) network.

Uldis (UD)

Re: Persistent Linux nodes

Post by Uldis (UD) » Thu May 10, 2018 8:40 am

Yes, you have prepare your Linux image to be as deault with your preffered stuff.
Follow here please:
http://www.eve-ng.net/documentation/how ... inux-image

johnjohnjohn

Post by johnjohnjohn » Thu May 10, 2018 4:18 pm

Thanks for your response. I understand that part, but what I'm looking for is a way to continue updating the image after initial creation - so files created in one lab are available on the same image/node in other labs.

For example, use and modify the base linux-*/hda.qcow2 image - not a copy of it every time.

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Fri May 11, 2018 8:27 pm

but it is exactly what I said, prepare your image once and use for all

johnjohnjohn

Post by johnjohnjohn » Fri May 11, 2018 11:26 pm

So you're saying if I add a ready to go linux image from the link on that page, or create my own following those exact steps listed, I can do the following?

1. Create Linux_Lab_1
2. Add the new linux node
3. Create a directory in the home folder on that node
4. Shutdown and close the lab
5. Create Linux_Lab_2
6. Add the same linux image
7. The directory I created in the home folder in Linux_Lab_1 will be present in the node

Because that's what I was asking about, and is not what happens by default. Sorry, I'm not sure I can make what I'm asking any clearer.