Sizing of VM?

Moderator: mike

wixxyl

Sizing of VM?

Post by wixxyl » Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:13 pm

How much RAM and how many cores seems optimal for EVE? I've got a Dell T5500 that I'm running EVE under VMWare Pro and it's handling 32GB of memory and 4 cores very well. I just bought another 16GB off of eBay to stick in as I need to test some Palo Alto and Nexus DC designs, and those Nexus are memory hogs. My end goal is 2 Intel Xeon X5680 processors with 144GB of RAM, is that overkill? I will be attempting CCIE DC somewhere in the future, so I know I'll need some horsepower. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Uldis (UD)

Re: Sizing of VM?

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:19 am

Priority list of HW in the EVE.

1. CPU cores is all, qemu nodes require CPU source to ru, as more cores of CPU you have, as larger labs you can do. Example, 4 Cores CPU will handle lab of x2 Nexus 9K, maybe 3
2. Fast HDD, interoperation between I/O of HDD is very important and gives the preformance of the EVE
3. and only 3rd place is RAM !!!

Uldis

NitrousOxyde

Re: Sizing of VM?

Post by NitrousOxyde » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:25 am

wixxyl wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:13 pm
How much RAM and how many cores seems optimal for EVE? I've got a Dell T5500 that I'm running EVE under VMWare Pro and it's handling 32GB of memory and 4 cores very well. I just bought another 16GB off of eBay to stick in as I need to test some Palo Alto and Nexus DC designs, and those Nexus are memory hogs. My end goal is 2 Intel Xeon X5680 processors with 144GB of RAM, is that overkill? I will be attempting CCIE DC somewhere in the future, so I know I'll need some horsepower. Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.
Good luck with CCIE DC, man!
CCIE R&S #59198
JNCIP-SP, JNCIP-ENT