ability to alter telnet url

Features you'd like to see in the upcoming version of EVE-NG

Moderator: mike

ostapus

ability to alter telnet url

Post by ostapus » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:28 pm

Hello,

requesting the followin feature - ability to alter/customize "click to node" url for node access.. Currently (ie for telnet) the url has followin form: telnet://1.2.3.4:5678. The probles is, under the linux - when i click and open terminal to the node, terminal window has no proper title (like "R1"... i am using konsole as terminal). I can assign script as uri handler, howere it is not help as there is no way to pass router's name to url.
as POC i modified community version of eve-ng to construct uri as telnet://1.2.3.4:5678@ROUTER_NAME, however, i can't modify prof. version because of encrypted files.

thanks

Ostap

ecze

Re: ability to alter telnet url

Post by ecze » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:27 pm

The root cause is the telnet client Used...

EVE send back Console name but some client are just unable to handle such information !

E.

ostapus

Post by ostapus » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:23 pm

Hello,

thanks for the answer. Do you mind to point me how exactly EVE sents info back ? i couldn't find anything in telnet specification and looking at the connection dump (with tcpdump) i don't see remote device name either.
Either way, another use case is when you have to use jump/bastion host and do ssh tunnel to telnet because of firewalls - ie: ssh eve-ng-host telnet localhost 60685, you have to pass remote device name to change window/tab title.

thanks

ecze

Post by ecze » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:12 pm

It is a sequence handled by xterm type terminals

E.