ASA routing protocols flapping - going crazy

Moderator: mike

badgerdog

ASA routing protocols flapping - going crazy

Post by badgerdog » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:56 pm

Running latest EVE-NG on VWware workstation Pro 14.1.1
Also run latest EVE-NG on vSphere(ESXi) 6.

On my EVE-NG VWware workstation:
When I setup a Cisco ASA (v8.4 or 9.15) to run eigrp or ospf, both routing protocols constantly flap - losing conectivty to neighbors

On my EVE-NG ESXi:
The same ASA images and configurations run eigrp and ospf without any problem.

On the VMware workstation is appears that the ASA doesn't respond to enough HELLOs from its neighbor to cause the hold time to kick in and declare the ASA down. This seems to be very cyclic, about every 10 minutes. It's not a multicast issue, as I've change eigrp to unicast and the problem persists.

I've completely exhausted my troubleshooting skills trying to isolate the cause of this on my VMWare workstation instance of EVE-NG. Anyone have any pointers to how I can troubleshoot this in EVE-NG? NOTE: Had this same problem when I ran VMware workstation 12.x Pro.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Best

Uldis (UD)

Re: ASA routing protocols flapping - going crazy

Post by Uldis (UD) » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:46 pm

usually it is bad switch image between asa and router

badgerdog

Post by badgerdog » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:02 am

Nope, ASA is directly connected to IOL router image and tried several IOL router images. Keep in mind that the "exact" same design works fine on my EVE-NG running on my VMware ESXi host... it breaks on the VMWare workstation EVE-NG

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:54 pm

Probably lack of sources then...
On my EVE ESXI or bare I have not such issues between ASA and other nodes in rouuting, eirgp or ospf

badgerdog

Post by badgerdog » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:13 am

Udi,

That's exactly what I am saying. "I do not have a problem with the eigrp on the ASA on my EVE ESXi server, my problem is on my EVE VMWare workstation. I very much doubt resources are a problem, my EVE VMWare workstation is an i7 with 32GB RAM. In my EVE lab I can have a single ASA running eigrp with a single IOL router and still get the eigrp and ospf "neighbor down" problem. . As I mentioned in my earlier post, the exact same ASA image and IOL image WORK JUST FINE ON MY EVE ESXi server, it DOES NOT WORK on my EVE VMware Workstation. This is very real problem that I am not imagining. I've tried to troubleshoot as much as I know how and am assuming it may or may not be the NIC drivers on my VMWare workstation machine, but I'm not able to determine for certain.... I don't know where to look next and was hoping you could tell me where/how to troubleshoot my EVE-NG to try and determine why it is happening. By the way, I have not had a problem with any other images on my EVE VMware workstation and I have many, many varied vendor type images. I suppose I could give up and only use my ESXi server when I want to develop labs with the ASA running routing protocols, but my ESXi server is not portable while my VMware workstation is portable.

Best

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:44 pm