Ryzen 2700X vs i5-8600k for gaming & CCNA-CCNP labs

Moderator: mike

mledermann

Ryzen 2700X vs i5-8600k for gaming & CCNA-CCNP labs

Post by mledermann » Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi guys,

This is my first thread on this forum, so I hope I'm not posting it in the wrong subsection. I already posted a similar question on various other forums, including Reddit but most answers I get seem to come from AMD fanbase or people who had little experience with EVE-NG, GNS3 or virtualization in general.

But moving to the main point, I'd like to ask if anyone here has any experience with Ryzen 2700X? I'm leaning more towards i5-8600k or perhaps even just i5-8400 but I might be willing to pay a little bit more $ if I were to actually get any extra performance from the two additional cores. The question is, if it is really worth it? Buying an Intel chip with 8 cores would be far too expensive, so it's either gonna be Ryzen or a 6-core CPU from Intel. My biggest "beef" with AMD is that I've heard their support for hardware virtualization and higher-end-speed DDR4 isn't as satisfactory as with Coffee Lakes, not to mention the much worse performance in games. And since I want to use my PC mostly for labs and enjoying games in 1080p, there seems to be no trade-off here (at least at first glance) for paying more cash for Ryzen rather than buying the reputed i5.

However, I'm a complete newbie here, which is why I'd love to hear various opinions from more experienced "labbers". :)

mledermann

Re: Ryzen 2700X vs i5-8600k for gaming & CCNA-CCNP labs

Post by mledermann » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:30 pm

Thanks Uldis for your input. I have already seen both that thread and that subforum before posting my question. The newest version of Ryzen discussed there is Ryzen 1700 and since then a lot might have happened, the 2nd gen of Ryzens supposedly isn't facing the same issues as the previous gen had last year. But it'd be nice to hear about practical experience of someone who owns a rig with Ryzen 2700x him-/herself.

Ryzens aside, afaik, a CPU like i5-8600k with 16GB RAM DD4 should be enough for CCNA preparations, but what about CCNP? Would it do the trick or does CCNP require buying some Xeon-based server?

Uldis (UD)

Re: Ryzen 2700X vs i5-8600k for gaming & CCNA-CCNP labs

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:53 am

better i7