Broadcom NetXtreme II (BCM5709) doesn't work?

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

alsadk

Broadcom NetXtreme II (BCM5709) doesn't work?

Post by alsadk » Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:04 am

Hey all,

Has anyone else run into this, or have any suggestions on what to try in order to fix it?

I have Dell Power Edge Gigabit Ethernet Card which uses the Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5709 chip.

lspci shows that the card is there:

Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme II BCM5709 Gigabit Ethernet

But it never shows up in ifconfig or ip a as a device I can configure.

I searched online and found an old driver, but I installed the free EVE community edition (Bare metal), is there any new driver compatible with BCM5709? Hence, I do not have an internet connection only a loopback interface.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,
Sadek

server specs:
Dell Power Edge R710

alsadk

Re: Broadcom NetXtreme II (BCM5709) doesn't work?

Post by alsadk » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:15 pm

Up

cholcomb

Post by cholcomb » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:30 pm

I have ran into this issue as well, exact same nic chipset. I had no issues with prior eve version, with ubuntu 16. Only an issue after fresh install with latest Eve version, which runs on Ubuntu 18. Appears to be a driver issue, from what I can tell. Fresh bare metal install completed, was able to activate the nic and get an IP, download updates during the install process. after server reboot to finalize install, issue appears. I have ran the linux-firmware package manually and it saw that the bnx2 driver was not installed, and installed it, but it made no difference.

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:41 pm

and ubuntu 16 and 18 both have latest bradcom drivers, simply apt update need to do...

alsadk

Post by alsadk » Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:12 pm

The ethernet driver is not installed so I do not have internet connection to update!!
Uldis (UD) wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:41 pm
and ubuntu 16 and 18 both have latest bradcom drivers, simply apt update need to do...

alsadk

Post by alsadk » Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:27 pm

I am confused. What I have to do and how I could use linux-firmware?
cholcomb wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:30 pm
I have ran into this issue as well, exact same nic chipset. I had no issues with prior eve version, with ubuntu 16. Only an issue after fresh install with latest Eve version, which runs on Ubuntu 18. Appears to be a driver issue, from what I can tell. Fresh bare metal install completed, was able to activate the nic and get an IP, download updates during the install process. after server reboot to finalize install, issue appears. I have ran the linux-firmware package manually and it saw that the bnx2 driver was not installed, and installed it, but it made no difference.

cholcomb

Post by cholcomb » Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 pm

I spent many hours on this, with downloading the needed drivers and dependancies and I was able to install them to no avail. The Nic's simply wouldnt show up post install reboot.

I was able to resolve this issue by purchasing an Intel Nic and after server reboot post install, Eve was able to finish installing and all is well. Something about the BCM5709 that it really doesn't like.

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:13 am

cholcomb wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:59 pm
I spent many hours on this, with downloading the needed drivers and dependancies and I was able to install them to no avail. The Nic's simply wouldnt show up post install reboot.

I was able to resolve this issue by purchasing an Intel Nic and after server reboot post install, Eve was able to finish installing and all is well. Something about the BCM5709 that it really doesn't like.
It was smart choice, I did same buying Intel NIC