Host to Lab Communication Issues from Ubuntu to host via Management Cloud

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

swampygoeswild

Host to Lab Communication Issues from Ubuntu to host via Management Cloud

Post by swampygoeswild » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:02 pm

Hi all,

I have been recently using EVE on my Windows laptop and communicating from the Ubuntu app, on the Windows host, to the routers and switches in the EVE lab via the management cloud.

I have just installed EVE on my Ubuntu (20.04.1 LTS) PC and can't communicate from the terminal on the host to the switches in the EVE lab via the management cloud.

Furthermore, I am using VMWare Workstation 16.1 with a NAT network adaptor. There is a route in the routing table pointing to the right network on the right interface and I can ping the VM IP address which is in the same subnet as the devices I am putting in the lab.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Stu

Uldis (UD)

Re: Host to Lab Communication Issues from Ubuntu to host via Management Cloud

Post by Uldis (UD) » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:22 pm

Simple answer is that Ubuntu 20 is not so frinedly with VM ware. Usually need find what is outdated on your Ubuntu native host to allow bridging pass through on VM ware/Ubuntu

You can join in EVE Live helpdesk chat to explore this question more
https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/live-helpdesk/
Use your gmail or create new chat account

rustyjarz

Re: Host to Lab Communication Issues from Ubuntu to host via Management Cloud

Post by rustyjarz » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:55 pm

Hi

This is not articulated anywhere, try this . . . From this site https://www.brianlinkletter.com/how-to- ... ux-system/

I had the exact same problem, until I updated the permissions on the vmware vmnet interfaces.

Configure VMware Interfaces
So that nested virtual machines running inside a VMware virtual machine can communicate with external networks, change the permissions of the VMware virtual interfaces so that any user running VMware Player can access them.

First find the vmnet devices on your host computer. These will have been set up when you installed VMware Player, or when you create a virtual machine in VMware player that uses these interfaces. To see all available vmnet devices, execute the commands:

t420:~$ cd /dev
t420:~$ ls -l | grep vmnet
crw------- 1 root root 119, 0 Feb 28 10:46 vmnet0
crw------- 1 root root 119, 1 Feb 28 10:46 vmnet1
crw------- 1 root root 119, 8 Feb 28 10:46 vmnet8
We see from the command output that there are three vmnet devices and that all are accessible by only the root user. Change the devices’ permissions so that all users may access them. Execute the following commands. If you found a different list of vmnet devices when you listed them, adapt your commands to match the devices on your computer:

t420:~$ sudo chmod a+rw /dev/vmnet0
t420:~$ sudo chmod a+rw /dev/vmnet1
t420:~$ sudo chmod a+rw /dev/vmnet8
NOTE: It is important to configure the VMware Player’s network device permissions before you start the EVE-NG VM. If you already have started the EVE-NG VM, then configure the device permissions as shown above, shut down the EVE-NG VM, and then start the EVE-NG VM in VMware. A restart will not work. You need to shut down the VM completely first, then start it again.

To make permanent changes so you do not need to modify the vmnet device permissions every time you start your computer, you may modify the VMware service script1