Unable to join lab router from Ubuntu host

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

vgr

Unable to join lab router from Ubuntu host

Post by vgr » Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:46 am

Hi all
I installed EVE in a VM under VMWare Workstation on a Linux Unbuntu 18.04 desktop.
I use a Bridge Adaptor to join the EVE VM
I added a Custom /dev/vmnet1 to join routers in my lab (with a Network object)
The communication between may laptop and the router in my virtual lab do not work : each one learn ARP infos, but the ping do not work

A wireshark capture on each side show that ping are sent on the link, but not seen on the other side
I tried to run tcpdump on eth1 and pnet1 on the EVZE system, but I can not see the pings

Thanks for your help
VGR

Uldis (UD)

Re: Unable to join lab router from Ubuntu host

Post by Uldis (UD) » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:56 pm

You check your ubuntu with wm ware, because issue starts in this point
bridging is topping work if you have not updated your Ubuntu cores with vm ware

vgr

Post by vgr » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:48 am

Thanks for your reply.
Which points must I check ?
  • Firewall allow all flows

Code: Select all

sudo iptables -L -v -n
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 28 packets, 6087 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 28 packets, 3887 bytes)
  • I can see ping query to the vmnet1 interface (with wireshark)
What can I check after that ?
Regards
VGR

rustyjarz

Post by rustyjarz » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:54 pm

Hi

This is not articulated anywhere, try this . . . From this site https://www.brianlinkletter.com/how-to- ... ux-system/

I had the exact same problem, until I updated the permissions on the vmware vmnet interfaces.

Configure VMware Interfaces
So that nested virtual machines running inside a VMware virtual machine can communicate with external networks, change the permissions of the VMware virtual interfaces so that any user running VMware Player can access them.

First find the vmnet devices on your host computer. These will have been set up when you installed VMware Player, or when you create a virtual machine in VMware player that uses these interfaces. To see all available vmnet devices, execute the commands:

t420:~$ cd /dev
t420:~$ ls -l | grep vmnet
crw------- 1 root root 119, 0 Feb 28 10:46 vmnet0
crw------- 1 root root 119, 1 Feb 28 10:46 vmnet1
crw------- 1 root root 119, 8 Feb 28 10:46 vmnet8
We see from the command output that there are three vmnet devices and that all are accessible by only the root user. Change the devices’ permissions so that all users may access them. Execute the following commands. If you found a different list of vmnet devices when you listed them, adapt your commands to match the devices on your computer:

t420:~$ sudo chmod a+rw /dev/vmnet0
t420:~$ sudo chmod a+rw /dev/vmnet1
t420:~$ sudo chmod a+rw /dev/vmnet8
NOTE: It is important to configure the VMware Player’s network device permissions before you start the EVE-NG VM. If you already have started the EVE-NG VM, then configure the device permissions as shown above, shut down the EVE-NG VM, and then start the EVE-NG VM in VMware. A restart will not work. You need to shut down the VM completely first, then start it again.

To make permanent changes so you do not need to modify the vmnet device permissions every time you start your computer, you may modify the VMware service script1

vgr

Post by vgr » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:13 pm

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Unfortunately it do not work for me.

Code: Select all

$ ll /dev/vm*
crw------- 1 root root  10, 57 févr. 10 21:57 /dev/vmci
crw------- 1 root root  10, 58 févr. 10 21:57 /dev/vmmon
crw------- 1 root root 119,  0 févr. 10 21:57 /dev/vmnet0
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 119,  1 févr. 10 21:57 /dev/vmnet1
I changed only the vmnet1 because vmnet0 works fine.
It is the same problem after restarting the EVE VM and restarting VMWare Workstation.
Thanks again
VGR