Best Lightweight Client Simulation Node to Use

Moderator: mike

CommitConfirmed

Best Lightweight Client Simulation Node to Use

Post by CommitConfirmed » Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:19 pm

Running 5 labs for a class and need to simulate 2-3 end users across multiple VRFs. I'm trying to find a good solutions for this that keeps a heavy load off the overall server because I have to run 4vMX VCP and VFPs, per Lab/Pod, for the real purpose of the class. Only purpose of these nodes is going to be ping (icmp) and traceroute. Here's what I've done so far:

1) Simulate 2x Clients with another set of vMXs, trunk port to the core, using irb's and routing-instances to simulate clients. Works the best, but has the heaviest load on the server. Startup config loads correctly when cloning labs.

2) Tried VPCS's, but with those I need 8 additional VPCS's per lab. Startup config loads correctly when cloning labs. VPCS's only allow a single connection at a time, so if a session hangs and user tries to launch another one, it doesn't show them any output. We constantly have to wipe the VPCS's then provide students new port #s.

3) Tried the vSRX because it seems lightweight and can simulate the same thing from #1 with the vMX, but cannot get the Startup Configs to load on them.

Curious what others may be using for this, and if they have found any solutions to the above issues?