XCP-ng and nested virtualization (reboots)

Moderator: mike

davparker

XCP-ng and nested virtualization (reboots)

Post by davparker » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:15 pm

FYI,
I figured I'd try running EVE-NG on XCP-ng since VMware is now pushing people away after the Broadcom acquisition. I installed XCP-ng ver 8.2.1 then installed the EVE-NG Pro from ISO. Managed to get EVE-NG running. I enabled nested virtualization for the VM. I also needed to switch NICs to use e1000 adapter. Everything seemed ok at first. I imported all my images and a lab. It seems like the VIOS images from CML would spin up. But when I try to spin up a CSR or an ASAv the EVE-NG vm will suddenly reboot.
I realize that Xen is not supported/recommended. Looking for an alternative hypervisor..
Food for thought.
Thanks,
Dave

Uldis (UD)

Re: XCP-ng and nested virtualization (reboots)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:39 am

CSR nodes template by default was set as vmxnet3 nic, which is VM ware NIC, you can try set NIC type to virtio-pci
For ASAv first reboot is normal behave, on second boot it setup device itself and after second reboot it works, but also need check interface. virtio-pci, or e1000 (template default is e1000)
Another thing to look, is qemu version, try change it on template before boot to other, CSR had 4.1.0, may switch it to 5.2.0 or 2.12.0
Uldis

rusty725

Post by rusty725 » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:42 am

davparker wrote:
Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:15 pm
FYI,
I figured I'd try running EVE-NG on XCP-ng since VMware is now pushing people away after the Broadcom acquisition. I installed XCP-ng ver 8.2.1 then installed the EVE-NG Pro from ISO. Managed to get EVE-NG running. I enabled nested virtualization for the VM. I also needed to switch NICs to use e1000 adapter. Everything seemed ok at first. I imported all my images and a lab. It seems like the VIOS images from CML would spin up. But when I try to spin up a CSR or an ASAv the EVE-NG vm will suddenly reboot.
I realize that Xen is not supported/recommended. Looking for an alternative hypervisor..
Food for thought.
Thanks,
Dave
Hi, come to our chat and give me anydesk. I'd like to see xcp-ng setup.

davparker

Post by davparker » Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:54 pm

Thanks for the tips. I tried all and still experience a spontaneous reboot of the EVE-NG vm shortly after powering up the nodes. I did try a slightly newer CSR from CML refplat but same experience.

XCP-ng seems pretty cool. I acquired a relatively high end SuperMicro for my lab. I planned to run VMware ESXi up until Broadcom announced their change in licensing model. I had an eval lic of ESXi while migrating my EVE-NG environment. I may keep XCP-ng on my server and continue to run EVE-NG on a desktop. For all I iknow I could be hitting a Xen bug with nested virtualization. This is my first experience setting up XCP-ng. Made for an interesting 3 day weekend to be sure.

davparker

Post by davparker » Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:16 pm

FYI,
I tried upgrading to XCP-ng 8.3 beta 2 but no improvement on EVE-NG in nested virtualization. It was worth a try. I see at least one other person has the same issue trying to run EVE-NG in their forums. Apparently nested virtualization is unstable in XCP-ng.

rusty725

Post by rusty725 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:03 pm

can you come to our chat https://webchat.eve-ng.net and message me directly, I'd like to see your xcp-ng setup.

qnox81

Post by qnox81 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:34 pm

Hi!

I'm also struggling with XCP-NG (8.2.1) installation and EVE-NG pro. I can start and run VPC, not problem, but whenever I start Mirkotik CHR image (tested stable releases 7.14.1, 6.49.12 and LTS 6.49.10 image, tried different qemu versions 2.1.12, 4.1.0, 5.2.0 and 6.0.0 ) whole VM reboots. I've also tried

VM is configured with nested virtualization and e1000 network card driver

I know that XCP-NG is not on a supported platforms, but any thought? I would be grateful for any ideas!

rusty725

Post by rusty725 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:47 pm

I think there's a later version of xcp-ng in some beta state, try it