More Cloud Objects or Customizable Cloud Objects

Features you'd like to see in the upcoming version of EVE-NG

Moderator: mike

IamKyleK

More Cloud Objects or Customizable Cloud Objects

Post by IamKyleK » Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:29 pm

It would be great if there could be more than 9 Cloud Objects, or if the existing Cloud Objects could be customized so that they could be used to connect specific nodes and have segmentation from another set of nodes that may be connected using that same Cloud Object.

For example:

Lab 1 Node A -> Cloud9_1 -> Lab 2 Node B

is segmented from

Lab 1 Node C -> Cloud9_2 -> Lab 3 Node D

We have created individual labs for each "site", and in some cases created separate labs for a single site in order to separate large segments of the network from each other, ie LAN from Transport. We did this in order to reduce the amount of network devices in a single device, and allow us to easily turn on all devices in a specific system, or segment of a network without turning on devices in a different segment. We then connect these labs together using Cloud Objects, which for the most part works very well. The issue we face is that when one Clout Object/Interface is used to connect many labs together, the link becomes saturated and we experience a lot of packet loss which extends to flapping BGP sessions and Tunnels.

It would be great to have many mode Cloud Interfaces, that are strictly virtual and not attached to any Physical Interface or VMware vNIC. Another option would be to use a single Cloud Object multiple times in a single lab, but each use was unique and could be configured to connect to a specific instance of that same Cloud Object in another lab.

Uldis (UD)

Re: More Cloud Objects or Customizable Cloud Objects

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:22 pm

EVE Pro has such option

IamKyleK

Post by IamKyleK » Sun Feb 07, 2021 4:03 pm

What is the option that you are referring to? Is there any documentation to support this?

To my knowledge there are only 9 available Cloud Objects besides Cloud0, and there is no way to modify the Cloud Object in the way I specified. In otherwords, every node connected to a Cloud Object is in the same collision/broadcast domain, regardless of it being in the same lab or a different lab. It is essentially a Layer1 Hub that can be shared across multiple labs.

The feature I am requesting in to segregate a Cloud Interface into multiple collision domains so that each point-2-point or point-to-multipoint connection does not interfere with each other. The other option would be to allow for more than 9 Cloud Objects to be used so that segregation can be achieved by using a different Cloud Object for each P2P or P2MP connection.

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:16 pm

Private and internal
Isolated clouds@
Internal cloud is used in frame of one lab. (single lab)
Private cloud in frame of one POD (One user labs)

EVE Pro cookbook section: 10.2, 10.3

https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/docume ... -cookbook/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

IamKyleK

Post by IamKyleK » Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:55 pm

Uldis (UD) wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:16 pm
Private and internal
Isolated clouds@
Internal cloud is used in frame of one lab. (single lab)
Private cloud in frame of one POD (One user labs)

EVE Pro cookbook section: 10.2, 10.3

https://www.eve-ng.net/index.php/docume ... -cookbook/
Thanks for the response, however this still does not accomplish the results that my original request was for. Using the Private network object is really no different in this situation than using a Cloud object, other than one can be attached to a physical nic and the other cannot, and they are invisible to other users. There is no network segregation between connections to the Private Object. So If I have two nodes connected between Labs A and B by the Private network object, and another two connected by the Private network object in Lab C and D, then they are all in the same collision domain, and if any of them have the same node ID, then there may be MAC conflicts over that single collision domain.

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:55 pm

Private network is isolation between user PODs
User A using private cloud, will not see labs on private cloud for user B
Private cloud role is single user but multi labs.
User A
Example:
Master lab is connected to Private Cloud
other labs are connected to Private cloud as well,
these labs can communicate with each other.

Same example user for User B, will not reach User A labs

IamKyleK

Post by IamKyleK » Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:58 pm

Thank you, this does not fit within the scope of my feature request.

Uldis (UD)

Post by Uldis (UD) » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:30 pm

:) really?
I used logic and did all my multi users labs and without any issues..

you can see how internal Cloud is used in this lab, and it does not disturb any another labs or users
Cloud can be as socket in your wall, like LAN connections, multi times on the lab, see below
VPN0 is internal cloud, 3 times on lab
And trust me thinking about deign of such labs… you can do what ever you want
VPN0 cloud is connected to the lab part below...it is simply understand as connection to flat LAN, and ISP-R router e1/2 is GW for all your internal cloud LAN.

regarding other isolated clouds, I agree, need maybe 1-2 more, but thats it.
rest is totally right and ok on eve

In the seconf lab I used 2 clouds: internal cloud VPN512 and VPN0 Private cloud.
Private cloud is connected to my another lab server
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kazuki

Post by kazuki » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:16 pm

Old post... but I also want this features, especially more cloud object. :?

I installed eve-ng corp (7 x admin) on esxi server with 10 NICs (2 x onboard, 2 x e1000 quad card using PCIe Passthrough).
and I use it for large network design work with hybrid connection between EVE lab and real hardware such as FWs, routers, L3SWs, etc.
So I often do trunk connections between the real SWs and the virtual SWs on EVE to make up for missing ports..
However, as IamKyleKK's said, BGP sessions and tunnels become unstable.
Of course there may be other causes, but if it is non tagging, the problem does not occur.
So I want more Cloud Interfaces.

It would be great to synchronize cloud link state to physical interface... It would make fault testing easier. :lol:
And Cloud Object hot add feature. (For example, if i connect a USB-NIC, automatically add new Cloud interfaces without reboot.)