Point to point links showing multiple cdp neighbors

Before posting something, READ the changelog, WATCH the videos, howto and provide following:
Your install is: Bare metal, ESXi, what CPU model, RAM, HD, what EVE version you have, output of the uname -a and any other info that might help us faster.

Moderator: mike

schroe6818

Point to point links showing multiple cdp neighbors

Post by schroe6818 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:54 pm

We have a fairly large persistent lab that we keep running for maintenance validations. The Lab has approximately 80-90 active devices (running a mix of Cisco IOS-XE and IOS-XR and) with roughly 400-500 point to point connections.

When we start the lab up, everything seems to run properly without issue. After the lab has run for a while (currently been up for 4 weeks) we start seeing weird issues where new links do not come up at all, and other links start seeing multiple devices out of a single interface. Almost like it is viewing the interface as a point-to-multipoint connection. If we restart the lab, everything resumes working properly, but there is always the fear of loosing configs when doing that so we try to avoid it.

Has anyone ever experienced similar issues? Is there some type of maximum number of Point-to-point connections that you can run at the same time?

Lab info:
EVE-NG version: 2.0.4-108-PRO
QEMU version: 2.4.0
Hardware - I am not sure on HW specs as i do not have access to the server to see what was used but i do know if was a fairly robust device.

Uldis (UD)

Re: Point to point links showing multiple cdp neighbors

Post by Uldis (UD) » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:03 am

First, EVE Pro has new version 2.0.5-21, so please update upgrade your EVE.
Multi CDP can be shown if you are using shared cloud connections, mgmt for example. Multi nodes are connected to single cloud.
As well multi cdp would appear if the bridge/hub is used connect nodes one to many.
no limits on point to point connections.
Show topology and I will answer from where multi cdp is comeing.

Uldis

schroe6818

Re: Point to point links showing multiple cdp neighbors

Post by schroe6818 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:17 pm

Thank you for the reply.

The topology is an exact replica of our production topology which is private and I cannot share it.

The links that the multiple neighbors are being seen through are not mgmt interfaces. They are normal gigEth ports. I am checking the devices now and they are not showing multiple neighbors right now. So this must be a transient issue. Is there any type of show commands that i can capture when the issues are happening to help you narrow down what is happening?